Subject: [bitcoindev] Re: Proposal for Quantum-Resistant Cryptography in Bitcoin - BIP Submission

From: Jon Atack <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2024 08:35:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Agustin,

Good to see!

Have you seen the work-in-progress BIP draft at 
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/1670?  It may be good to review each 
other (and possibly collaborate).

Discussions/references to that draft:
* https://groups.google.com/g/bitcoindev/c/Aee8xKuIC2s/m/cu6xej1mBQAJ (Mailing 
list discussion)
* https://delvingbitcoin.org/t/proposing-a-p2qrh-bip-towards-a-quantum-
resistant-soft-fork/956?u=cryptoquick (Delving Bitcoin discussion)
* https://bitcoinops.org/en/newsletters/2024/06/14/ (Bitcoin Optech 
newsletter)
* https://bitcoinops.org/en/podcast
/2024/06/18/#draft-bip-for-quantum-safe-address-format (Bitcoin Optech 
discussion transcript)

Best regards,
Jon

On Thursday, October 17, 2024 at 5:06:34 PM UTC-6 Agustin Cruz wrote:

Dear Bitcoin Developers, 
I would like to propose a Bitcoin Improvement Proposal (BIP) that aims to 
introduce quantum-resistant cryptography to the Bitcoin protocol. With the 
rapid advancement in quantum computing, this proposal outlines the 
integration of post-quantum cryptographic algorithms (SPHINCS+ and 
Dilithium) to safeguard Bitcoin’s long-term security.
 
The key points of the proposal are: 
- Introduction of quantum-resistant signature algorithms (SPHINCS+ and 
Dilithium). 
- New Bech32-based address formats for quantum-resistant addresses. 
- Modifications to transaction structures and script opcodes to support 
larger signature sizes. 
- A transition mechanism through a soft fork to ensure backward 
compatibility with existing Bitcoin addresses and transactions. 

The full BIP draft is available here 
https://github.com/chucrut/bips/blob/master/bip-xxxx.md for your review and 
feedback. I look forward to the community's input and am open to 
suggestions on how to improve the proposal. 

Best regards,
Agustín Cruz

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/07384dbd-4b98-43db-a71a-e19a1d04f849n%40googlegroups.com.