Subject: [bitcoindev] Proposal for Quantum-Resistant Address Migration Protocol (QRAMP) BIP

From: Agustin Cruz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2025 14:36:29 -0800 (PST)

Dear Bitcoin Developers,

I am writing to share my proposal for a new Bitcoin Improvement Proposal 
(BIP) titled *Quantum-Resistant Address Migration Protocol (QRAMP)*. The 
goal of this proposal is to safeguard Bitcoin against potential future 
quantum attacks by enforcing a mandatory migration period for funds held in 
legacy Bitcoin addresses (secured by ECDSA) to quantum-resistant addresses.

The proposal outlines:

   - *Reducing Vulnerabilities:* Transitioning funds to quantum-resistant 
   schemes preemptively to eliminate the risk posed by quantum attacks on 
   exposed public keys.
   - *Enforcing Timelines:* A hard migration deadline that forces timely 
   action, rather than relying on a gradual, voluntary migration that might 
   leave many users at risk.
   - *Balancing Risks:* Weighing the non-trivial risk of funds being 
   permanently locked against the potential catastrophic impact of a quantum 
   attack on Bitcoin’s security.

Additionally, the proposal addresses common criticisms such as the risk of 
permanent fund loss, uncertain quantum timelines, and the potential for 
chain splits. It also details backwards compatibility measures, 
comprehensive security considerations, an extensive suite of test cases, 
and a reference implementation plan that includes script interpreter 
changes, wallet software updates, and network monitoring tools.

For your convenience, I have published the full proposal on my GitHub 
repository. You can review it at the following link:

Quantum-Resistant Address Migration Protocol (QRAMP) Proposal on GitHub 
<https://github.com/chucrut/bips/blob/master/bip-xxxxx.md>

I welcome your feedback and suggestions and look forward to engaging in a 
constructive discussion on how best to enhance the security and resilience 
of the Bitcoin network in the quantum computing era.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best regards,

Agustin Cruz

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/08a544fa-a29b-45c2-8303-8c5bde8598e7n%40googlegroups.com.