Subject: [bitcoindev] Proposal for Decentralized Satellite-Based Bitcoin Nodes

From: "'BitMan' via Bitcoin Development Mailing List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2025 08:01:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

This is my first message to the Bitcoin Development Mailing List.

Straight to the point: you might be familiar with the Blockstream Satellite 
system, which broadcasts the Bitcoin blockchain globally. Blockstream uses 
ground stations that receive a version of the blockchain from Blockstream's 
infrastructure. Users can passively receive this data but cannot broadcast 
transactions or contribute updates to the blockchain being transmitted.

My concern is the lack of decentralization and the reliance on a single 
company. I’m only 16 and still learning, but I’m passionate about improving 
Bitcoin. I don’t fully understand how satellites work yet — but inspired by 
Elon Musk’s Starlink approach, I believe it's worth exploring the idea of a 
fully open-source, community-driven satellite communication system.

This system could allow users not only to receive but also to broadcast 
transactions and synchronize blocks directly to and from full nodes in 
space. That way, Bitcoin could truly function off-grid and without 
dependency on centralized ISPs or infrastructure. It would make Bitcoin 
more resilient, censorship-resistant, and globally accessible.

Of course, such a project would be very expensive and technically complex. 
But perhaps it could be made possible through crowdfunding or support from 
individuals passionate about decentralization and global freedom.

My dream is to see Bitcoin working *almost* offline — powered by minimal 
energy, generated through a small solar panel and paired with a satellite 
dish. A full node that can send and receive data or even a singular device 
exploring the blockchain or broadcasting a transaction, independent of 
centralized networks — truly decentralized and powered by the people.

Thanks a lot for reading my message :)

Yours,
[Username not set yet :)]

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bitcoin Development Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bitcoindev/09feeb35-5ce8-4198-ba70-5d63698796ban%40googlegroups.com.