Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] DNS seeds unstable

From: Robert McKay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 01:44:29 +0100

On Mon, 19 May 2014 19:49:52 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 4:36 PM, Robert McKay <[email-masked]> 
> wrote:
>> It should be possible to configure bind as a DNS forwarder.. this 
>> can
>> be done in a zone context.. then you can forward the different zones 
>> to
>> different dnsseed daemons running on different non-public IPs or two
>> different ports on the same IP (or on one single non-public IP since
>> there's really no reason to expose the dnsseed directly daemon at 
>> all).
>
> Quite the opposite.  dnsseed data rotates through a lot of addresses
> if available.  Using the bind/zone-xfer system would result in fewer
> total addresses going through to the clients, thanks to the addition
> of caching levels that the bind/zone-xfer system brings.
>
> That said, if the choice is between no-service and bind, bind it is 
> ;p

Setting it up as a zone forwarder causes each request to go through to 
the dnsseed backend for each request.

Rob