Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] [BIP Proposal] New "sendheaders" p2p message

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 18:41:07 +0000

On 24 September 2015 14:37:40 GMT-04:00, Suhas Daftuar via bitcoin-dev <[email-masked]> wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Tier Nolan via bitcoin-dev <
>[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>
>> Is there actually a requirement for the new message?  New nodes could
>just
>> unilaterally switch to sending headers and current nodes would be
>> compatible.
>>
>
>I don't believe that unilaterally switching to headers announcements
>would
>work for all network participants -- both for users running older
>Bitcoin
>Core versions (anything before 0.10, which I believe all ignore headers
>messages) and for non-Bitcoin Core software that participates on the
>network (which may ignore headers messages too, I'm not sure what all
>is
>out there).

You can enable the behaviour based on advertised p2p network version.