Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Seeking advice: Encouraging bug-fixing over new features

From: Matt Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 01:07:39 +0200

On Thu, 2011-07-28 at 08:45 +1000, Gavin Andresen wrote:
> "A couple of bitcoins to fix a bug" sounds to me like nothing but
> trouble for whoever is in charge of awarding the bounties, but maybe
> I'm just anti-bounty because spending 2 or 3 hours and getting $30
> worth of bitcoins for fixing a bug wouldn't motivate me.

I do think it would motivate some people to fix a bug or two, though I
would say it wouldn't encourage long-term contributors, just a bunch of
hacked together patches which "fix" a bug.

> RE: road-map and bug-fix-only-releases:  Great ideas.
I know jgarzik hates the idea of branching for releases, but quite a few
projects do that, and it seems to work fairly well.  I would support the
idea of starting with 0.4 and branching for bugfixes to an 0.4 branch,
then adding new features to a head branch to be eventually called 0.5.
> 
> 
> RE: paid full-time project lead:  I arranged to get paid to work on
> bitcoin full-time before I left for Australia; more details when I get
> back week-after-next.
Awesome.