Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] [BIP 15] Aliases

From: Amir Taaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 15:56:02 -0800 (PST)

This is maybe the best idea. I added it:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BIP_0015#IP_Transactions

Things I like about this:
- IP transactions are useful, but have a security flaw. This mitigates their security problems.
- The code for IP transactions is already in Satoshi client. If other clients want to add IP transactions, then it can be done with minimal fuss/bloat.
I feel that for any protocol extension, less is more. The less code 
needed, the better the extension. Not always but generally we want to 
avoid bitcoin protocol bloat which *will* happen far in the future. The 
only way to mitigate how spaghettified the standard will be in the 
future, is by careful cautious planning now.

- We can have a proxy node running 24/7 for us, serving our public keys in lieu of us.

________________________________
 From: theymos <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] [BIP 15] Aliases
 
Bitcoin already has code and a protocol for transactions to IP
addresses. Why not reuse that for dynamic address lookup? Just a few
changes are necessary to enable complete [email-masked] handling:
- Extend the protocol so that "reply" messages can be signed by a fixed
  public key
- Extend "checkorder" messages so they can specify an account to
  send BTC to. Or standardize on how to put the account into the
  message field.
- Enable DNS lookups for IP transactions. The DNS-only proposals could
  also be used here to avoid having to use the IP transaction protocol
  sometimes. The public key for signing "reply" messages can be gotten
  from TXT records. This will be safe with DNSSEC and Namecoin. With
  plain DNS Bitcoin could take a SSH-like approach and ask the user to
  verify the public key the first time it is used, remembering it later.

DoS attacks are already handled by the IP transactions code: the same IP
address is always given the same bitcoin address until it pays to that
bitcoin address.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 Tips for Better Server Consolidation
Server virtualization is being driven by many needs.  
But none more important than the need to reduce IT complexity 
while improving strategic productivity.  Learn More! 
http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sdnl/114/51507609/
_______________________________________________
Bitcoin-development mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bitcoin-development