Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] limits of network hacking/netsplits (was: Discovery/addr packets)

From: Matt Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2013 23:07:50 +0200

I really beg to differ on this one.  If you're an Ubuntu user who is
behind only one distro (quantal) you're stuck on version 0.6.2 with no
updates since 2012 (yes, that means on May 15th you'll be lost). 
 
For those still on Debian Squeeze (ie barely out of date), you get
0.3.24! Yes, 0.3.24 including every issue we've fixed since
(https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Common_Vulnerabilities_and_Exposures) and
bitcoin is not available in wheezy.

Those are just the two I bothered to look up, but, additionally, nearly
every distro I know of links bitcoin against libdb5.1 (latest Ubuntu,
Arch, etc) which means wallets run once with those packages will never
be usable an "official" Bitcoin build ever again.  I can't necessarily
fault them for this since 4.8 is quite old, but its certainly not "doing
mostly a pretty good job"

Matt

On Mon, 2013-05-06 at 23:48 -0500, Petr Praus wrote:
> I think it's worth noting that quite a large portion of Linux users
> probably get the mainline Bitcoin client from the packages. I think
> Bitcoin package maintainers are doing mostly a pretty good job :)