Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Tor / SPV

From: Miron <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 20:40:26 -0800

On Wed, 2014-01-15 at 20:29 -0800, Miron wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-01-15 at 23:51 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> ...
> > 3) SPV wallets that want to get a good mix of nodes for measuring
> > pending transactions identify nodes on the clearnet via their addr
> > announcements+service flag, in the normal way. They select some of
> > these nodes using the standard clearnet anti-sybil heuristics and
> > connect without using Tor. They proceed to query them for their hidden
> 
> The SPV node could connect to the IP using Tor.  It would preserve the
> privacy of the SPV node - hard to see it's running Bitcoin.  It also
> reduces the ability of an attacker to MITM because the routing varies
> with each exit node.
> 

It would also be good to gossip the mapping of (IP -> onion address).
This would allow detection of a future MITM, since the MITM can't spoof
the onion fingerprint.