Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Presenting a BIP for Shamir's Secret Sharing of Bitcoin private keys

From: devrandom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 10:28:56 -0700

On Sat, 2014-03-29 at 11:44 -0400, Matt Whitlock wrote:
> On Saturday, 29 March 2014, at 11:08 am, Watson Ladd wrote:
> > https://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/stevenag/new-research-better-wallet-security-for-bitcoin/
> 
> Thanks. This is great, although it makes some critical references to an
> ACM paper for which no URL is provided, and thus I cannot implement it.
> 
> A distributed ECDSA notwithstanding, we still need a way to decompose a
> BIP32 master seed into shares. I am envisioning a scenario in which I

It would seem that threshold ECDSA with keys derived from separate seeds
has better security properties than one seed that is then split up.  The
main thing is that there is no single point of attack in the generation
or signing.

> might meet my sudden and untimely demise, and I wish to allow my
> beneficiaries to reconstruct my wallet's master seed after my death. I
> would like to distribute seed shares to each of my beneficiaries and
> some close friends, such that some subset of the shares must be joined
> together to reconstitute my master seed. Shamir's Secret Sharing Scheme
> is perfect for this use case. I am presently working on extending my
> draft BIP so that it also applies to BIP32 master seeds of various
> sizes.
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Bitcoin-development mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bitcoin-development

-- 
--
Miron / devrandom

-- 
--
Miron / devrandom