Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] DPL is not only not enough, but brings unfounded confidence to Bitcoin users

From: Tom Zander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 12:01:32 +0200

On Friday, 14 October 2016 04:51:01 CEST Daniel Robinson via bitcoin-dev 
wrote:
> > Because if not, the DPL is still better than the status quo.
> 
> Agreed. Also worth noting that it has a potential advantage over
> unilateral patent disarmament, analogous to the advantage of copyleft
> licenses over MIT/BSD: it provides an incentive (at least a theoretical
> one) for other companies to adopt it too.

This is a very important point and a huge step forward in my opinion.

The downside of MIT/BSD licenses is that companies can take and not give 
back. It doesn't build a community and commonly-shared property. Copyleft 
allows people to take and embrace, but if they extend they have to give 
back. Which is fair, you build it on their stuff...

-- 
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io
Vlog: https://vimeo.com/channels/tomscryptochannel