Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Draft-BIP: Ordinal Numbers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 08:02:06 +0100

> The system sounds expensive eventually to cope with approximately 2,100,000,000,000,000 ordinals.
What about zero satoshis? There are transactions, where zero satoshis are created or moved. Typical users cannot do that, but miners can, we currently have such transactions in the blockchain, for example 9f0b871e28fa19e2308e2fa74243bf2dcf23b160754df847d5f1e41aabe499d1 (check the last two inputs).

On 2022-02-24 01:53:36 user damian--- via bitcoin-dev <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Well done, your bip looks well presented for discussion. You say to 
number each satoshi created? For a 50 BTC block reward that is 
5,000,000,000 ordinal numbers, and when some BTC is transferred to 
another UTXO how do you determine which ordinal numbers, say if I create 
a transaction to pay-to another UTXO. The system sounds expensive 
eventually to cope with approximately 2,100,000,000,000,000 ordinals. If 
I understand ordinals 0 to 5,000,000,000 as assigned to the first 
Bitcoin created from mining block-reward. Say if I send some Bitcoin to 
another UTXO then first-in-first-out algorithm splits those up to assign 
1 to 100,000,000 to the 1 BTC that I sent, and 100,000,001 to 
5,000,000,000 are assigned to the change plus if any fee?-DA.

On 2022-02-23 11:43, Casey Rodarmor via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Briefly, newly mined satoshis are sequentially numbered in the order
> in
> which they are mined. These numbers are called "ordinal numbers" or
> "ordinals". When satoshis are spent in a transaction, the input
> satoshi
> ordinal numbers are assigned to output satoshis using a simple
> first-in-first-out algorithm.
_______________________________________________
bitcoin-dev mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev