Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Encrypted Wallet Backward Compatibility

From: Pieter Wuille <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 21:10:07 +0200

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 04:21:17PM +0200, Matt Corallo wrote:
> 
> At Luke's suggestion, I did a bit more digging and was able to find a
> data structure in wallet settings that should cause all versions (well
> all versions since Bitcoin was in github, and probably before then) to
> crash on load instead of making a new wallet or opening in some bizarre
> half-state.  I just put an empty object in addrIncoming (nfc what it was
> used for, but it will get the desire effect and it isnt used anywhere in
> the code aside from its definition).
> You can see the commit at
> https://github.com/TheBlueMatt/bitcoin/commit/2e8383469d7e12a495b3a1dbd41a8d211ff34fe8
> Does anyone disagree and think a different solution would work better?

Though giving an mostly incomprehensible/unrelated error is never nice to
the user, i believe it's better than creating an empty wallet and letting
the user wonder where his wallet went. This way, we fail soon and don't
ever get a corrupt wallet.

> This resolves all known issues and suggestions that I know of on newenc
> except for the invalid mlock calculations, which I will go fix right
> now.  So...aside from that bug does anyone have any remaining
> suggestions/blockers on newenc and, if not, can we get final ACKs on it?

ACK on newenc, and thanks for all the work you put in it already.

-- 
Pieter