Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Duplicate transactions vulnerability

From: Pieter Wuille <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 21:24:15 +0100

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 01:23:01PM -0500, Luke-Jr wrote:
> Has it been verified to make even rocconor's complicated transaction-based 
> version impossible?

Yes, he tried it on testnet against a patched node.

> > The purpose of this mail is asking for support for adding this rule to
> > the protocol rules. If there is consensus this rule is the solution, I
> > hope pools and miners can agree to update their nodes without lengthy
> > coinbase-flagging procedure that would only delay a solution. So, who
> > is in favor?
> 
> Can we do this in two steps? First, prefer blocks which don't break the rule; 
> once 55%+ are confirmed to have upgraded, then it is safe to treat it as a 
> hard rule.

I prefer to avoid this if possible, as it increases the size of the patch
significantly. In particular, it would require the discouragement-system to
be backported to whatever versions pools are running. The current proposal
only requires adding 6 lines of code.

-- 
Pieter