Subject: [Bitcoin-development] 0.8.1 ideas

From: "Luke-Jr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:56:29 +0000

Here's a simple proposal to start discussion from...

BEFORE block 262144:
- Never make a block that, combined with the previous 4 blocks, results in 
over 4500 transaction modifications.
- Reject any block that includes more than 4500 transaction modifications on 
its own (slight soft-fork)
- (these rules should make older clients safe under most circumstances)

FROM block 262144 to block 393216 (hard fork #1):
- Never make, and reject any block that includes more than 24391 transaction 
modifications on its own (this *should* be equivalent to 1 MB)
- (this rules can make older client backports safe unless a reorg is more than 
6 blocks deep)

FROM block 393216 onward (hard fork #2):
- Never make, and reject any block that includes more than 48781 transaction 
modifications on its own (this *should* be equivalent to 2 MB)
- Accept blocks up to 2 MB in data size
- Discontinue support for clients prior to 0.8.1

I intentionally set the block numbers conservatively to try to account for the 
yet-unseen ASIC upgrade.

Thoughts?