Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Service bits for pruned nodes

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 10:18:01 -0400

On Fri, May 03, 2013 at 04:06:29PM +0200, Mike Hearn wrote:
> That's true, but we can extend the DNS seeding protocol a little bit - you
> could query <current-chain-height>.dnsseed.whatever.com and the DNS server
> then only returns nodes it knows matches your requirement.

If you're going to take a step like that, the <current-chain-height>
should be rounded off, perhaps to some number of bits, or you'll allow
DNS caching to be defeated.

Make clients check for the largest "rounded off" value first, and then
drill down if required. Some complexity involved...

> This might complicate existing seeds a bit, and it's a bit of a hack, but
> protocol-wise it's still possible. Of course if you want to add more
> dimensions it gets uglier fast.

Maybe I should make my blockheaders-over-dns thing production worthy
first so we can see how many ISP's come at us with pitchforks? :P

-- 
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
00000000000000142de0244ee8fac516e7c0a29da1eafc0d43f2da8b6388b387