Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Cold Signing Payment Requests

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 17:29:59 -0400

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:17:23AM -0700, Jeremy Spilman wrote:
> [Aside] I was reading Peter's fidelitybond writeup for his idea on contract
> value accounting, and he points to Stephan's post from last September on
> payer-encoded metadata (
> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=108423.msg1178438#msg1178438) which
> Timo applies here. As a relative newcomer, this is what I am loving most
> about Bitcoin.

The widespread disclosure we do is a good thing for sure.

Keep in mind that Bitcoin is brand new technology, and brand new fields
tend to get lots of people coming in and trying to patent them. Public
disclosure, and bitcointalk, the email list, and github all count, is a
valuable tool to ward off potential threats in the future if it ever
comes to that.

FWIW it might not be a bad idea to see if archive.org would accept some
of the key documentation like the development section of the forum, the
email list archives, and the irc logs. Some issues, especially on the
forum, with people's ability to edit posts after the fact, but we're
breaking new ground here and the history should be archived.

-- 
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
00000000000000f5a3175efc20cdac41f848d47dc7d00debe821ebfa69f91db9