Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Proposal: soft-fork to make anyone-can-spend outputs unspendable for 100 blocks

From: "Luke-Jr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 19:14:17 +0000

On Saturday, June 01, 2013 7:30:36 PM Peter Todd wrote:
> scriptPubKey: <data> OP_TRUE
> 
> ...
> Along with that change anyone-can-spend outputs should be make IsStandard()
> so they will be relayed.

Data does not belong in the blockchain. People running nodes have all 
implicitly agreed to store the blocks for financial purposes, and storing data 
is a violation of that social contract. Proof-of-stake may be arguably 
financial, but I'm sure there must be a way to do it without spamming people 
against their consent.

> The alternative is sacrifices to unspendable outputs, which is very
> undesirable compared to sending the money to miners to further
> strengthen the security of the network.

The alternative is to make other standard outputs unable to store data as 
well.

Luke