Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Looking for GREAT C++ developer for exciting opportunity in bitcoin space

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 18:22:25 -0500

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 11:53:19AM -0700, Evan Duffield wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> We’re a startup looking for 1 or 2 really good C++ programmer that is
> familiar with the bitcoin internals to help with a for-profit startup.
> 
> We will be able to provide more information about the project after signing
> a non-compete/non-disclosure agreement. Our coin will be one of the truly
> unique coins that are not just a clone of the original Bitcoin code. In
> short the project will be a merge-mined altcoin that will provide a very
> useful service to the whole crypto-coin ecosystem.

I would strongly suggest that if you have not done so already you hire
someone competent to do an analysis of whether or not your idea makes
sense at all; that you are using merge-mining is a red-flag because
without majority, or at least near-majority, hashing power an attacker
can 51% attack your altcoin at negligible cost by re-using existing
hashing power. If you are starting a timestamping service that may be an
exception, but how to turn a profit doing so is non-obvious.

I would offer that consulting myself, but it would likely be a conflict
of interest with my employers. I'd be happy to speak informally in
private, but am explicitly unwilling to agree to any
non-compete/non-disclosure terms.

-- 
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
000000000000000f9102d27cfd61ea9e8bb324593593ca3ce6ba53153ff251b3