Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Bait for reusable addresses

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:26:18 -0500

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 12:26:19PM +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> >
> > brittleness. The real world experience is that users, or to be exact
> > wallet authors, turn down SPV privacy parameters until bloom filters
> > have almost no privacy in exchange for little bandwidth usage.
> 
> 
> That's not fundamental though, it just reflects that the only
> implementation of this is used on a wide range of devices and doesn't yet
> have any notion of bandwidth modes or monitoring. It can and will be
> resolved at some point.

Resolved for some users, not for all. The underlying trade-off will
always be there; less bandwidth makes it harder, more addresses to check
makes it harder; an HD wallet used properly without re-using addresses
will quickly lead to a fairly full bloom filter unless addresses are
expired, and expiration leads to scenarios where funds can be lost.

I think we need to provide users with better options than that.

-- 
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
000000000000000064ddd387d7548c97c4d42f4df1008d180f306c59e0440f4f