Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Coinbase reallocation to discourage Finney attacks

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:15:45 -0400

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 06:04:49PM +0000, Justus Ranvier wrote:
> The integrity of Bitcoin is more important than you and your personal
> preferences.
> 
> 
> You don't have the right to decide which valid scripts in the
> blockchain will be disregarded, and neither does anyone else.
> 
> 
> If you don't like what's in the blockchain, you and everybody else can
> work within the protocol to orphan the offending block.
> 
> 
> But if you fail, then what's written in the blockchain is final and
> the sole purpose of the network is to enforce it - deal with it.

Agreed, although I think waxwing put it better: Bitcoin's most
fundamental property is its neutrality. If it loses this, it is not
Bitcoin.

But I also agree with Gavin that the bitcoin-development email list is a
perfectly good place to have these types of discussions. I myself have
used it repeatedly to publish ideas specifically due to wide readership
and multiple independent archives.

> PS: We don't even know who runs BitUndo. They seem to have lots of
> money to spend on web design - I wonder where it came from?

Actually we do: Eric Springer

See

http://www.coindesk.com/double-spending-unconfirmed-transactions-concern-bitcoin/

https://github.com/espringe - joined Feb 11 2010

Anyway that's just twitter bootstrap or something; I hear the wizards
can pump out a site like that in a few hours.

-- 
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
000000000000000004af1fb3b77c0f7ffe640982e440ac3eb085fa51d8207838