Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Reconsidering github

From: Troy Benjegerdes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 00:53:12 -0500

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 08:24:33AM +0200, Wladimir wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 3:26 AM, Troy Benjegerdes <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > If bitcoin wants to become irrelevant, then by all means, continue to
> > depend on github and all the unknown attack surface it exposes.
> >
> > Those of us that do run our own servers will migrate to higher quality
> > alternatives.
> 
> So that means you're volunteering to run a web-accessible mirror of
> the bitcoin repositories?
> 
> Wladimir

http://bitspjoule.org/hg/upstream/bitcoin

I guess I should update it more than every 6 months and then the updates
won't take so long. It would also go a lot faster if I had a couple of 
dedicated servers, but that won't happen until I sell someone a support
contract for crypto-commodities trading. I figure a bitcoin a month should
support the hardware, 24x7 monitoring, and maybe a couple of full nodes
running on the servers as well.

And to pick up from another comment on this thread if you don't understand
some of the differences between git and mercurial, or how to set up servers
that pull from git and mirror to mercurial, you will have a lot harder time
tracking down and removing malicous code that could get injected if someone
gets root on a Github server.

It is also a very usefull excercise in distributed systems design to 
understand how distributed revision control systems in theory converge to a
coherent global state, and what is similiar or different to Bitcoin's 
global consensus model of what the balance of every bitcoin address is.