Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Reconsidering github

From: Troy Benjegerdes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 00:59:58 -0500

Gerrit is free if you can afford the admin(s) to maintain it.

http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/wiki/ShowCases

And yes, I'm volunteering to get paid to be the admin, especially if you
want a 'painless' log in with a github account feature, because it will
be very painful for me to unroll the damage if github is compromised.

My preference would be that we use the same ECDSA keys we secure our
bitcoins with to secure our access to the code review and source 
control systems.

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 04:16:11PM +0200, Mike Hearn wrote:
> If github were to be abandoned for anything, it'd make sense to move code
> review and bug tracking elsewhere. GitHub does a reasonably good job of
> hosting git repositories. It kind of sucks at code review and the issue
> tracker is rudimentary at best. These days you can do "log in with my
> github account" so if done well, it'd not have to be very painful.
> 
> JetBrains make great stuff and they have a code review and repository
> exploration tool called Upsource in development, which should come out
> soon. I think it's proprietary but that would be no different to github,
> and it's designed for self hosting.

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Troy Benjegerdes                 'da hozer'                  [email-masked]
7 elements      earth::water::air::fire::mind::spirit::soul        grid.coop

      Never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel,
         nor try buy a hacker who makes money by the megahash