Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] [BIP draft] CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY - Prevent a txout from being spent until an expiration time

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 17:38:50 -0700

On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 07:12:11PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> RE " It's not like other software where people can choose to skip an
> upgrade and things still work just like before."
> 
> If you're a minority, sure you can.  Still a few nutters out there on
> a 0.3.x codebase, including one or two inattentive,
> now-inconsequential miners.
> 
> There is some headroom built in for just that... less disruptive
> upgrades that don't require 100%.

Anyway the stuff Mike is saying about being able to detect upgrades is
incorrect - detecting an upgrade is *easier* with a soft-fork, just look
at the block header nVersion numbers and warn the user if they increase
beyond what you know is valid. Bitcoin Core implements this IIRC, and
bitcoinj should.

Someone with more time should write all this up for the bitcoin.org
developer docs BTW... There's extensive discussions on #bitcoin-dev and
others about all of this.

-- 
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
000000000000000012367d385ad11358a4a1eee86cf8ebe06a76add36dfb4622