Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Block Size Increase Requirements

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 12:37:01 -0400

On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 12:03:04PM +0200, Mike Hearn wrote:
> >
> >  * Though there are many proposals floating around which could
> > significantly decrease block propagation latency, none of them are
> > implemented today.
> 
> 
> With a 20mb cap, miners still have the option of the soft limit.

The soft-limit is there miners themselves produce smaller blocks; the
soft-limit does not prevent other miners from producing larger blocks.

As we're talking about ways that other miners can use 20MB blocks to
harm the competition, talking about the soft-limit is irrelevant.
Similarly, as security engineers we must plan for the worst case; as
we've seen before by your campaigns to raise the soft-limit(1) even at a
time when the vast majority of transaction volume was from one user
(SatoshiDice) soft-limits are an extremely weak form of control.

For the proposes of discussing blocksize increase requirements we can
stop talking about the soft-limit.

1) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=149668.0

-- 
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
000000000000000009344ba165781ee352f93d657c8b098c8e518e6011753e59