Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] questions about bitcoin-XT code fork & non-consensus hard-fork

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 14:33:05 +0100

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 08:33:31PM +0800, Pindar Wong wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 2:03 AM, Adam Back <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Dear Adam, All:
> 
> At the community's convenience, it would be an honour to arrange an initial
> open summit to meet with representatives of the Chinese miners in Hong Kong
> (UTC+8) to facilitate a better understand between the different
> stakeholders of the Bitcoin ecosystem on this important issue.   This could
> be arranged for this October, or earlier, if deemed necessary.

Great!

FWIW there Constance Choi and Primavera De Filippi (CC'd) are holding a
blockchain-tech conference October 14th-15th in Hong Kong as well;
coordinating your summit with that conference could be useful.

http://blockchainworkshops.org/

This workshop series has been attracting audiences of people looking to
use blockchain tech in general; many of these use-cases will likely
involve the Bitcoin blockchain in unpredictable ways. Importantly, these
ways can drive demand significantly beyond our current assumptions based
on most demand being consumer-merchant transactions.

In addition, many of the attendees have significant experience with
regulatory issues and interacting with governments on regulation of
blockchain tech. Bitcoin faces existential risks to its existence by
these regulation efforts, which include things like efforts to setup
industry wide Anti-Money-Laundering/Know-Your-Customer programs,
including programs that would tie on-chain transactions to identity
information. Any blocksize discussion needs to be informed by these
potential threats to usage of the technology, as well as challenges to
using scaling solutions.

> Remote online participation would be welcome from those who might not be
> able to attend in person.
> 
> However,  it is hoped that such a meeting would be primarily document
> driven to facilitate orderly translation, discussion and decision.

Agreed. Pieter Wuille's recent work is a great example of the kind of
science-driven investigations that need to be done - and haven't been
done very much - to get us some hard data to make decisions on.

-- 
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
0000000000000000127ab1d576dc851f374424f1269c4700ccaba2c42d97e778