Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Draft BIP : fixed-schedule block size increase

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 15:28:38 -0400

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 02:18:19PM -0400, Gavin Andresen wrote:
> ==Rationale==
> 
> The initial size of 8,000,000 bytes was chosen after testing the current
> reference implementation code with larger block sizes and receiving
> feedback from miners stuck behind bandwidth-constrained networks (in
> particular, Chinese miners behind the Great Firewall of China).
> 
> The doubling interval was chosen based on long-term growth trends for CPU
> power, storage, and Internet bandwidth. The 20-year limit was chosen
> because exponential growth cannot continue forever.

Wladimir noted that 'The original presented intention of block size
increase was a one-time "scaling" to grant time for more decentralizing
solutions to develop'

Comments?

In particular, if bandwidth scaling doesn't go according to your plan,
e.g. the exponential exponent is too large, perhaps due to technological
growth not keeping pace, or the political realities of actual bandwidth
deployment making theoretical technological growth irrelevant, what
mechanism will prevent centralization? (if any)

-- 
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
000000000000000008c0be16e152f86ab3a271a13c3f41c56228d72990abf7bd