Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin XT Fork

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 11:13:30 -0700

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 10:22:32AM -0700, Simon Liu via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Olivier Janssens claims that one of your colleagues is asking for Gavin
> to be removed from his position.  Is this true?
> 
> https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3hksre/blockstream_employee_asking_to_remove_gavin_from/?sort=confidence
> 
> http://pastebin.com/q2TT58Z5

IMO that's a very reasonable request; lately I've spent a lot of time
having to educate journalists on how Bitcoin doesn't have a "chief
scientist" with any kind of authority. Having Gavin Andresen in that
position at the otherwise inactive and bankrupt Bitcoin Foundation
misleads the public about the true nature of how Bitcoin operates,
giving a misleading impression that it has the same centralized decision
making as conventional financial systems do. Among other things, this
harms the reputation of Bitcoin as a whole as it can confuse the public
into thinking there aren't major differences between Bitcoin and those
conventional financial systems.

As the email said "Regardless of your personal view on XT this is bad
for bitcoin." - a statement I agree with 100%

-- 
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
00000000000000000402fe6fb9ad613c93e12bddfc6ec02a2bd92f002050594d