Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin XT Fork

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 11:20:11 -0700

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 06:32:14PM +0100, Btc Drak via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 5:53 PM, Adam Back via bitcoin-dev
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > ignored the warnings.  Many also warned that 75% was an optimally BAD
> > trigger ratio (and that in a hard fork it is not a miner vote really
> > as in soft-forks).  Gavin & Mike ignored that warning to.  I know they
> > heard those warnings because I told them 1:1 in person or via email
> > and had on going conversations.  Others did too.
> 
> I would like to add for the record, I also warned Gavin of this in his
> PR to Bitcoin Core, and also suggested a timeout which if
> activation/enforcement did not occur within, hard fork deployment
> would be cancelled. His response was to delete these from the PR
> claiming thresholds were not relevant conversation in his PR and
> belonged elsewhere (even though they had already been discussed
> elsewhere).

Normal GitHub users submitting pull-reqs to Bitcoin Core can't delete
other users' comments on their own pull-reqs...

IMO that's an abuse of the pull-req process, and in turn, Gavin
Andresens's commit access rights for the Bitcoin Core repo.

That kind of comment is perfectly on topic in the pull-req review
process; deleting it harms that process by removing useful information
about the trade-offs of the pull-req, both for people now, as well as
future efforts investigating the history of Bitcoin's protocol
development.

I think this should weigh in favor of Gavin Andresen not having commit
privileges for the Bitcoin Core repository.

-- 
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
00000000000000000402fe6fb9ad613c93e12bddfc6ec02a2bd92f002050594d