Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Revisiting NODE_BLOOM: Proposed BIP

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 23:07:17 -0700

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 02:01:06AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> I don't see any link to data backing up "Bloom filter usage has declined
> significantly"
> 
> Is there actual data showing this feature's use is declining or
> non-existent?

I run a number of high speed nodes and while I don't have historical
logs handy over time, I've noticed a drop from about %5-%10 SPV clients
at any one time to closer to %1 (Matt: you have a few TB of logs saved
don't you?)

Also, as I mentioned, just look at the popularity of wallets such as
Mycelium that are not adopting bloom filters, but going with SPV
verification of block headers w/ lookup servers.

Anyway, look at the analogous implementation of NODE_GETUTXO's, which
helpfully has provided the infrastructure for wallets that need bloom
filters to find appropriate nodes to connect too - we certainely aren't
seeing any shortages of nodes for those wallets to use.

-- 
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
00000000000000000402fe6fb9ad613c93e12bddfc6ec02a2bd92f002050594d