Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Let's deploy BIP65 CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY!

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:28:14 -0400

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 09:01:02AM -0400, Gavin Andresen wrote:
> I think three things need to happen:
> 
> 1) Stop pretending that "everyone must agree to make consensus rule
> changes." "Rough consensus" is what we've always gone with, and is good
> enough.
> 
> 2) Mr. Todd (or somebody) needs to write up a risk/benefit security
> tradeoff analysis doo-hickey document and publish it. I'm reasonably
> confident that the risks to SPV nodes can be mitigated (e.g. by deploying
> mempool-only first, before the soft fork rolls out), but as somebody who
> has only been moderately paying attention, BETTER COMMUNICATION is needed.
> What should SPV wallet authors be doing right now, if anything? Once the
> soft fork starts to roll out or activates, what do miners need to be aware
> of? SPV wallet authors?

Do you have such a document for your BIP101? That would save me a lot of
time, and the need for that kind of document is significantly higher
with BIP101 anyway.

Re: mempool, CLTV-using transactions are non-standard and are not
relayed in all Bitcoin Core releases. (see my pull-req #5000 -
Discourage NOPs reserved for soft-fork upgrades - for why) I believe
that meets your suggestion of deploying mempool-only first.

-- 
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
0000000000000000032420ad2987adc954df855f9ae10cf608e911b431f640e0