Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] [BIP Draft] Allow zero value OP_RETURN in Payment Protocol

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 12:07:52 -0500

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 09:41:01AM -0800, Toby Padilla via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> The wording is a little strange and I think it *should* work as you state,
> but Bitcoin Core will actually reject any output that has zero value (even
> a single OP_RETURN output -- I just tested again to make sure).
> 
> Here's the blocking code:
> 
> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/src/qt/paymentserver.cpp#L584
> 
> I agree that this should be made more clear in my BIP though, I'll clean up
> the language.

Note that because the dust limit is ignored completely for OP_RETURN
outputs, you can work around this by setting the OP_RETURN outputs to 1
satoshi instead.

-- 
https://petertodd.org 'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
000000000000000008320874843f282f554aa2436290642fcfa81e5a01d78698