Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] BIP 151

From: Alfie John <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 14:47:34 +0000

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 09:36:57AM -0400, Erik Aronesty via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Encrypting links in a network without identity doesn't really seem to help
> enough for the costs to be justified.

Passive is still better than none.

> I would like to see a PGP-like "web of trust" proposal for both the
> security of the bitcoin network itself /and/ (eventually) of things like
> transmission of bitcoin addresses.

There already exists an unutilised WoT of "good" actors within the network -
miners via the coinbase transaction. Bootstrapping their own "trusted" pool of
IP addresses would be possible via the 100 bytes coinbase script.

> *Then* you can slap an encryption layer on top of it.   Once you have
> identity & P2P verified pub keys for nodes, encryption becomes easy.

A miner's WoT will give you this.

Alfie

-- 
Alfie John
https://www.alfie.wtf