Subject: [bitcoin-dev] BIP 2 revival and rework

From: Luke Dashjr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 06:36:00 +0000

I've revived BIP 2 (from Deferred Status) and given it some updates. Most 
notably, I have reworked it to be a *replacement* for BIP 1 rather than an 
addendum.

https://github.com/luke-jr/bips/blob/bip0002_squash/bip-0002.mediawiki

Please review it. If things go well, hopefully we can get this done by 
Christmas. ;)

Other recent changes include:
* OPL will no longer be an acceptable license. Many in the community feel that 
prohibiting publication is unacceptable for BIPs, and I haven't heard any 
arguments in favour of allowing it.
* Accepted Status has been renamed to Proposed. The name "Accepted" seems a 
constant source of confusion since it requires only action from the author.
* Non-image auxiliary files are permitted in the bip-XXXX subdirectory. This 
was already the norm despite BIP 1.
* Email addresses are now required for authors. The Travis script has been 
enforcing this for months now already.
* The Post-History header may be provided as a link instead of a simple date. 
A few BIPs were already doing this.
* Markdown format is no longer permitted for BIPs. I don't see the point in 
allowing multiple formats, and so far we've been fine with just MediaWiki.
* The Resolution header has been dropped, as it is not applicable to a 
decentralised system where no authority exists to make final decisions.

Other changes already in the previous draft of BIP 2:
* An implementation is now required (when applicable) before BIPs can proceed 
to Proposed Status.
* BIP Comments are newly introduced.
* The License preamble headers have been added.

Thanks,

Luke