Subject: [bitcoin-dev] Defensive Patent License Offer Notice

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 04:51:17 -0400

Also published at https://petertodd.org/2016/defensive-patent-license-offer,
and Bitcoin txid b4bf94f5c457d080924aa163106d423670373cfe3b10f8ec00742c2234b01b72

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA256

    I, Peter Todd, hereby declare myself and all technology companies that I
    control as "Defensive" by committing to offer a Defensive Patent License,
    version 1.1, for any of my patents either existing or future, to any DPL User.
    Neither I nor any companies that I control have any patents at this time.

    My contact address is [email-masked]

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

    iQEcBAEBCAAGBQJX/t11AAoJEGOZARBE6K+yR00H/0xp3oO7FiMvM4pjfoHZPPOa
    m3KjT4RSbFQLa9uniz0u/9bkc5I70CggkY3jtNLtDMbMBTwcMP61ABsvx+5y2gGD
    zE6VZ9DPcHVg/Eup6WSBlQO3HQKuFVz7vXSMuaidG7A+fpkU71SjDpB4M6hdvWnS
    +L9XBQ1GtQe0lSM73s4mld/IvB1giwPN1bOheQ9koYcQjj+B8PWyt2gIUwctxyvA
    7bC+KtCQT4RJPsQHbHx569CDkyIi3dNt0rTjCo5bOeUKrJF7eA3YktYdTJefZ+Rf
    00dbRZMslrg3dW9VWECfC0xC/kn+heStJ7WqJJKqYWo4apm6IiKPZxlwIcVscF0=
    =xrPk
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

# Notes

* On the advice of my lawyer, I'm currently offering only a specific version of
  the DPL. I probably will offer licenses under subsequent versions in the
  future, but I'd prefer to see how the DPL evolves and whether or not the
  license stewards behind it prove trustworthy before committing to doing so.

* The language "all technology companies I control" is there to avoid any
  complications with non-technology companies that I may control in the future,
  e.g. family real-estate holding companies, and the non-profit caving group
  I'm a part of. To my knowledge, I only control one company as of writing, the
  numbered company I do all my consulting through; I consider that company a
  "technology company", and thus the above offer applies to it.

* Equally, if by some stroke of luck I do end up in control of any other
  technology companies - maybe Bill Gate's blockchain smart-contract will
  mysteriously gives me control of Microsoft - then the above offer will apply.

-- 
https://petertodd.org 'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org