Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Testnet3 Reest

From: Peter Todd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 16:02:39 -0400

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 12:58:42PM +0530, shiva sitamraju via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> Testnet is now 1411795 blocks and a full sync is taking atleast 48 hours.
> 
> Is a testnet reset scheduled in the next release or any reason not to do a
> reset ?
> 
> Fast onboarding/lower disk overheads would be  very much appreicated for
> testing purposes

Actually I'd advocate the opposite: I'd want testnet to be a *larger*
blockchain than mainnet to find size-related issues first.

Note that for testing regtest is often a better alternative, and you can setup
private regtest blockchains fairly easily and with good control over exactly
when and how blocks are created.

-- 
https://petertodd.org 'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org