Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Progress on bech32 for future Segwit Versions (BIP-173)

From: "David A. Harding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 06:29:52 -0400

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 11:12:06AM +1030, Rusty Russell wrote:
> Here are my initial results:

A while ago, around the Bitcoin Core 0.19.0 release that enabled
relaying v1+ segwit addresses, Mike Schmidt was working on the Optech
Compatibility Matrix[1] and tested a variety of software and services
with a v1 address using the original BIP341 specification (33 byte
pubkeys; we now use 32 byte keys).  Here's a summary of his results,
posted with his permission:

- abra: Bech32 not supported.

- binance: Does not pass front end javascript validation

- bitgo: Error occurs during sending process, after validation.

- bitmex: Bech32 not supported.

- bitrefill: Address does not pass validation.

- bitstamp: Address text input doesn’t allow bech32 addresses due to
  character limits.

- blockchain.info: Error occurs during sending process, after
  validation.

- brd: Allows sending workflow to complete in the UI. Transaction stays
  as pending in the transaction list.

- casa: Fails on signing attempt.

- coinbase: Fails address validation client side in the UI.

- conio: Server error 500 while attemping to send.

- copay: Allows v1 address to be entered in the UI. Fails during
  broadcast.

- edge: Allows sending workflow to complete. Transaction stays in
  pending state. Appears to causes issues with the balance calculation
  as well as ability to send subsequent transactions.

- electrum: Error message during broadcasting of transaction.

- green: Fails on validation of the address.

- jaxx: Fails on validation of the address.

- ledger live: Fails when transaction is sent to the hardwave device for
  signing.

- mycelium: Fails during address validation.

- purse: Transaction can be created and broadcast, relayed by peers
  compatible with Bitcoin Core v0.19.0.1 or above.

- river: Transaction can be created and broadcast, relayed by peers
  compatible with Bitcoin Core v0.19.0.1 or above.

- samourai: Fails on broadcast of transaction to the network.

- trezor: Fails on validation of the address.

- wasabi: Fails on validation of the address.

- xapo: Xapo allows users to create segwit v1 transactions in the UI.
  However, the transaction gets stuck as pending for an indeterminate
  period of time

I would guess that some of the failures / stuck transactions might now
be successes if the backend infrastructure has upgraded to Bitcoin Core
>= 0.19.

-Dave

[1] https://bitcoinops.org/en/compatibility/