Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Automatically reverting ("transitory") soft forks, e.g. for CTV

From: Luke Dashjr <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 06:37:43 +0000

On Thursday 21 April 2022 06:20:15 Jeremy Rubin wrote:
> > While reverting Segwit wouldn't be possible, it IS entirely possible to
> > do an additional softfork to either weigh witness data at the full 4
> > WU/Byte rate (same as other data), or to reduce the total weight limit so
> > as to extend the witness discount to non-segwit transactions (so scriptSig
> > is similarly discounted).
>
> What if I pre signed a transaction which was valid under the discounted
> weighting, but the increase in weight would make it invalid? This would
> serve to confiscate funds. Let's not do that.

You'd be confiscating your own funds by making an absurd spending condition.
By this argument, ALL softforks would have to be ruled out.

> > Furthermore, the variant of Speedy Trial being used (AFAIK) is the BIP9
> > variant which has no purpose other than to try to sabotage parallel UASF
> > efforts.
>
> Why didn't you upstream the code that was used for the actual activation
> into Bitcoin Core in the last year?
>
> In preparing it I just used what was available in Core now, surely the last
> year you could have gotten the appropriate patches done?

They were done, reviewed, and deployed in time for Taproot. You personally 
played a part in sabotaging efforts to get it merged into Core, and violating 
the community's trust in it by instead merging your BIP9 ST without 
consensus. Don't play dumb. You have nobody to blame but yourself.

Luke