Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Future of the bitcoin-dev mailing list

From: Emil Pfeffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 14:29:44 +0000

On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 11:08:58PM +0000, Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 09:37:22AM -0600, Bryan Bishop via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> > Anti spam has been an issue for the moderators. It's relentless. Without
> > access to the underlying server, it has been difficult to fight spam. There
> > is some support for filters in mailman2 but it's not great.
> 
> Since this is a technical mailing list it would be fine to require people to
> pay a non-refundable anti-spam fee, eg via lightning, to gain the ability to
> send messages. While this would require some custom software, it's probably
> even possible to implement this if a third party is used for hosting, provided
> they have some kind of API.
> 

Could be done but it's overkill.
Running your own mail server is not that scary as the initial post makes it out
to be. Sending out spam is problematic only when you allow imap/pop3 access
which is not the case when running a mailling list.

My suggestion is to get the Bitcoin CEO hook us up on https://lists.freebsd.org
Failling that I volunteer to get the same setup going for a community run
project.
--