Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Start time for BIP141 (segwit)

From: Tom Zander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 20:20:50 +0200

On Sunday, 16 October 2016 09:47:40 CEST Douglas Roark via bitcoin-dev 
wrote:
> Would I want anyone to lose money due to faulty wallets? Of course not.
> By the same token, devs have had almost a year to tinker with SegWit and
> make sure the wallet isn't so poorly written that it'll flame out when
> SegWit comes along. It's not like this is some untested, mostly unknown
> feature that's being slipped out at the last minute

There have been objections to the way that SegWit has been implemented for a 
long time, some wallets are taking a "wait and see" approach.  If you look 
at the page you linked[1], that is a very very sad state of affairs. The 
vast majority is not ready.  Would be interesting to get a more up-to-date 
view.
Wallets probably won't want to invest resources adding support for a feature 
that will never be activated. The fact that we have a much safer alternative 
in the form of Flexible Transactions may mean it will not get activated. We 
won't know until its actually locked in.
Wallets may not act until its actually locked in either. And I think we 
should respect that.

Even if all wallets support it (and thats a big if), they need to be rolled 
out and people need to actually download those updates.
This takes time, 2 months after the lock-in of SegWit would be the minimum 
safe time for people to actually upgrade.

1) https://bitcoincore.org/en/segwit_adoption/
-- 
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io
Vlog: https://vimeo.com/channels/tomscryptochannel