Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Emergency Deployment of SegWit as a partial mitigation of CVE-2017-9230

From: Tom Zander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 16:54:03 +0200

On Friday, 26 May 2017 16:39:30 CEST Erik Aronesty wrote:
> Linking a bit4 MASF with a bit4 "lock in of a hard fork in 6 months" is
> something that will simply never happen for basic engineering reasons.

The modifications to Bitcoin Core would take at most a day to do, plus a week 
to test.
I’m not very happy with the full compromise myself, but can we please not 
stomp on actual progress with nebulous problems?
I mean, you want SegWit, right?

> Claiming that miners support segwit is disingenuous ... considering that
> if they supported it, they would be signaling for it today... instead of
> distracting the community with fake proposals that have no peer-reviewed
> code.

The nature of a compromise like the one that happened in New York is that 
both parties do something they are not the most happy with in exchange for 
the thing they want.
Miners have agreed to the SegWit part of this compromise. Calling that 
disingenuous is not helpful...
-- 
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io
Vlog: https://vimeo.com/channels/tomscryptochannel