Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Emergency Deployment of SegWit as a partial mitigation of CVE-2017-9230

From: Tom Zander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 11:21:55 +0200

On Friday, 26 May 2017 10:02:27 CEST Cameron Garnham via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> So, I started searching for the motivations of such a large amount of the
> mining hash-rate holding a position that isn’t at-all represented in the
> wider Bitcoin Community. My study of ASICBOOST lead to a ‘bingo’ moment: 
> If one assumes that the 67% of the hash rate that refuse to signal for
> SegWit are using ASICBOOST. The entire picture of this political
> stalemate became much more understandable.

I’m uncomfortable with your “bingo” moment, and your huge assumption to get 
to make it fit.
The reality is that we have seen repeatedly that the miners are stating they 
are Ok with an ASICBOOST disabling change.
The larger mining industry has just this week come to consensus about a 
better way to activate SegWit! Referring to the New York consensus meeting!!
https://medium.com/@DCGco/bitcoin-scaling-agreement-at-consensus-2017-133521fe9a77

I question your conclusions of miners not supporting SegWit because of 
ASICBOOST, the evidence shows this accusation to be false.

You openly admitting here that you use ASICBOOST as a tool to push SegWit is 
further making me uncomfortable. Your intention may be pure, but the methods 
are not.
And on that I agree with Andreas, that taints this proposal.

-- 
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io
Vlog: https://vimeo.com/channels/tomscryptochannel