Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Fees and the block-finding process

From: Thomas Zander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 00:12:12 +0200

On Friday 7. August 2015 19.33.34 Jorge Timón via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> When "the network runs out of capacity" (when we hit the limit) do we
> expect anything to happen apart from minimum market fees rising (above
> zero)?

How many clients actually evict transactions from their mempool currently? If 
the backlog grows infinitely (as a result of more in than out), that would be 
a problem.
How many wallets re-transmit their transaction when your local full nodes 
mempool no longer has it? Problem.

What will the backlash be when people here that are pushing for "off-chain-
transactions" fail to produce a properly working alternative, which 
essentially means we have to say NO to more users. We can't service you, 
sorry. Please go away.

At this time and this size of bitcoin community, my personal experience (and 
I've been part of many communities) saying NO to new customers will kill the 
product totally. Or, if we are lucky, just make an altcoin that quickly 
becomes the de-facto standard.
-- 
Thomas Zander