Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Why Satoshi's temporary anti-spam measure isn't temporary

From: Thomas Zander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 14:13:04 +0200

On Wednesday 29. July 2015 05.03.45 Eric Lombrozo via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Point is…processing blocks requires computational resources that someone
> needs to put up. Unless the people who are putting up these resources are
> properly incentivized to continue doing it, the network will fail.

This assumption is proven wrong by history.
Take a look at the RC5 challance, and its related cousins like the folding-at-
home or seti-at-home.

Next to that, there is incentive for running a node. It is that you don't have 
to trust someone else. This incentive has in business always been a very 
strong motivator. See how many companies run Outlook on their own intranet 
instead of using Outlook.com or similarly in the cloud. 

In my own opinion, its waaay to early to call failure on running nodes. Maybe 
you want to actually help merchants/chains/individuals run them by making 
bitcoin-core more useful for them.

What is the reason people don't run it? Well, reddit says its because of the 
upstream bandwidth not being able to be throttled. What about you try working 
on that instead of giving up on it?
-- 
Thomas Zander