Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] v3 onion services

From: Aymeric Vitte <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 23:19:23 +0100

So I must ask the question: what is the rational for a bitcoin node to
be hidden? ie to use RDV points like hidden services?

For me the rational for bitcoin is to anonymize communications between
nodes and/or clients, typically who sent this tx, not to hide that you
are operating a bitcoin node, then back to what I sent earlier

I tried to find the explaination in the bitcoin docs before sending this
post but did not find any, except referring to the fact that bitcoin
communications should be anonymized, which does not need RDV points

Another question is why to mimic the Tor network for RDV points with
.onion addresses?

The answers might be "this is what exists and we have no other way to do
it", I am proposing another way

I will not repeat what I wrote before, but I am operating node-Tor nodes
inside the Tor network since ~10 years, the js implementation of the Tor
protocol had not been easy (as well as putting everything inside
browsers) but I consider that the most difficult had been to handle all
unexpected events that happen inside the Tor network, even after
selecting carefully the nodes and testing them, this is a mess, nodes
are coming in, going out, responding, not responding, responding
correcltly or all of a sudden responding shxtty stuff, I was even
considering to get the entropy for the js prng from all of those
unexpected events

I don't think that any other people except the Tor project team know
this, a good example is http://peersm.com/peersm2, see the logs (destroy
and destroy and destroy) and how long it takes to establish 6 circuits
knowing that our server is the first one in the path (eliminating one
dubious node among 3)

I am not "promoting" this, everything is open source now and it is made
to be used, and I think that my proposal has some interest, using the
Tor network for bitcoin is a very bad idea, for security and
performances reasons

Le 18/11/2019 à 17:44, Carl Dong via bitcoin-dev a écrit :
> Hi Mr. Lee Chiffre,
>
> I have been working on an implementation of addrv2 (BIP-155). Is this what you meant by I2P and Torv3 address support?
>
> My WIP pull request: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/16748
> Merged BIP: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0155.mediawiki
> Ongoing discussion: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/766
> Note: Even though the pull request to the BIP repo is merged, we’re still discussing some details in the pull request thread and will amend the BIP once it seems like we’ve worked out all the kinks
>
> Review and further discussion is very much welcome! :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Carl Dong
> [email-masked]
> "I fight for the users"
>
>> On Nov 16, 2019, at 11:33 PM, Mr. Lee Chiffre via bitcoin-dev <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Right now bitcoin client core supports use of tor hidden service. It
>> supports v2 hidden service. I am in progress of creating a new bitcoin
>> node which will use v3 hidden service instead of v2. I am looking at
>> bitcoin core and btcd to use. Do any of these or current node software
>> support the v3 onion addresses for the node address? What about I2P
>> addresses? If not what will it take to get it to support the longer
>> addresses that is used by i2p and tor v3?
>>
>>
>> --
>> [email-masked]
>> PGP 97F0C3AE985A191DA0556BCAA82529E2025BDE35
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> bitcoin-dev mailing list
>> [email-masked]
>> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev
>
> _______________________________________________
> bitcoin-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bitcoin-dev

-- 
Move your coins by yourself (browser version): https://peersm.com/wallet
Bitcoin transactions made simple: https://github.com/Ayms/bitcoin-transactions
Zcash wallets made simple: https://github.com/Ayms/zcash-wallets
Bitcoin wallets made simple: https://github.com/Ayms/bitcoin-wallets
Get the torrent dynamic blocklist: http://peersm.com/getblocklist
Check the 10 M passwords list: http://peersm.com/findmyass
Anti-spies and private torrents, dynamic blocklist: http://torrent-live.org
Peersm : http://www.peersm.com
torrent-live: https://github.com/Ayms/torrent-live
node-Tor : https://www.github.com/Ayms/node-Tor
GitHub : https://www.github.com/Ayms