Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] BIP Proposal: Compact Client Side Filtering for Light Clients

From: Tom Zander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 11:52:00 +0200

On Tuesday, 20 June 2017 00:41:49 CEST Gregory Maxwell via bitcoin-dev 
wrote:
> Can someone make a case why saving no more than those figures would
> justify the near total loss of privacy that filtering gives?

First, your figures are wrong and also fall out of the sky with no 
justification. Can’t debunk something that is pure garbage.

Second, stating that a bloom filter is a "total loss of privacy" is equally 
baseless and doesn’t need debunking.

> "Because they already do it" isn't a good argument when talking about
> a new protocol feature; things which already do BIP37 will presumably
> continue to already do BIP37.

I think you just made the case for completely rejecting this proposal based 
on the fact that nobody will use it, BIP37 already exists.

Not sure if I agree with that, improvements are always useful and we should 
be able to come up with replacements.
But arguing against a feature you don’t like, especiallyh one used by 
millions every day, is a sad way to stiffle innovation, Greg.
-- 
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io
Vlog: https://vimeo.com/channels/tomscryptochannel