Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Standardisation of an unstructured taproot annex

From: "David A. Harding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 15:08:01 -1000

On 2023-06-02 05:00, Joost Jager via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> the benefits of making the annex available in a
> non-structured form are both evident and immediate. By allowing
> developers to utilize the taproot annex without delay, we can take
> advantage of its features today,

Hi Joost,

Out of curiosity, what features and benefits are available today?  I 
know Greg Sanders wants to use annex data with LN-Symmetry[1], but 
that's dependent on a soft fork of SIGHASH_ANYPREVOUT.  I also heard you 
mention that it could allow putting arbitrary data into a witness 
without having to commit to that data beforehand, but that would only 
increase the efficiency of witness stuffing like ordinal inscriptions by 
only 0.4% (~2 bytes saved per 520 bytes pushed) and it'd still be 
required to create an output in order to spend it.

Is there some other way to use the annex today that would be beneficial 
to users of Bitcoin?

-Dave

[1] 
https://github.com/lightning/bolts/compare/master...instagibbs:bolts:eltoo_draft#diff-156a655274046c49e6b1c2a22546ed66366d3b8d97b8e9b34b45fe5bd8800ae2R119