Subject: Re: [bitcoin-dev] Taproot (and graftroot) complexity

From: Matt Corallo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 20:40:27 +0000

Responding purely to one point as this may be sufficient to clear up
lots of discussion:

On 2/9/20 8:19 PM, Bryan Bishop via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Is Taproot just a probability assumption about the frequency and
> likelihood of
> the signature case over the script case? Is this a good assumption?  The BIP
> only goes as far as to claim that the advantage is apparent if the outputs
> *could be spent* as an N of N, but doesn't make representations about
> how likely
> that N of N case would be in practice compared to the script paths. Perhaps
> among use cases, more than half of the ones we expect people to be doing
> could be
> spent as an N of N. But how frequently would that path get used?
> Further, while
> the *use cases* might skew toward things with N of N opt-out, we might
> end up in
> a power law case where it's the one case that doesn't use an N of N opt
> out at
> all (or at a de minimis level) that becomes very popular, thereby making
> Taproot
> more costly then beneficial.
Its not just about the frequency and likelihood, no. If there is a
clearly-provided optimization for this common case in the protocol, then
it becomes further more likely that developers put in the additional
effort required to make this possibility a reality. This has a very
significant positive impact on user privacy, especially those who wish
to utilize more advanced functionality in Bitcoin. Further, yes, it is
anticipated that the N of N case is possible to take in the vast
majority of deployed use-cases for advanced scripting systems, ensuring
that it is maximally efficient to do so (and thereby encouraging
developers to do so) is a key goal in this work.

Matt