Subject: Re: [Bitcoin-development] Code review

From: Andy Parkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 11:42:29 +0100

On Friday 04 October 2013 12:30:07 Mike Hearn wrote:
> Git makes it easy to fork peoples work off and create long series of
> commits that achieve some useful goal. That's great for many things.
> Unfortunately, code review is not one of those things.
> 
> I'd like to make a small request - when submitting large, complex pieces of
> work for review, please either submit it as one giant squashed change, or

Don't do this.  It throws away all of the good stuff that git lets you record.  
There is more to a git branch than just the overall difference.  Every single 
log message and diff is individually valuable.  It's easy to make a squashed 
diff from many little commits; it's impossible to go the other way.

Command line for you so you don't have to think about it:

  git diff $(git merge-base master feature-branch) feature-branch 

git-merge-base finds the common ancestor between master and feature-branch, 
and then compares feature-branch against that.

Andy

-- 
Dr Andy Parkins
[email-masked]