Subject: [bitcoin-dev] On-going work: Coin Selection Simulation

From: Murch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 14:58:25 +0200

Hi,

I'm currently compiling my Master's thesis about Coin Selection and my
presentation proposal to Scaling Bitcoin has been accepted.

For my thesis, I have analyzed the Coin Selection problem, created a
framework to simulate wallet behavior on basis of a sequence of
payments, and have re-implemented multiple coin selection strategies of
prominent Bitcoin wallets (Bitcoin Core, Mycelium, Breadwallet, and
Android Wallet for Bitcoin).

As the Scaling Bitcoin site suggests that research should be made
available to this mailing list, I would like to invite you to have a
look at:

http://murch.one/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/CoinSelection.pdf

The PDF (176 kB) contains a two page description of my on-going work,
including preliminary simulation results, and three figures showing the
simulated wallets' UTXO compositions at the end of the simulation.

I can provide further information as requested, and would welcome any
feedback.

→→ If anyone has another sequence of incoming and outgoing payment
amounts at hand that I could run my simulation on, I'd love to hear
about it.

Regards

Murch